From www.legion.ca :
You may be eligible for voting membership in a Canadian branch of The Royal Canadian Legion if you are a Canadian citizen or Commonwealth subject and are of federal voting age. You may be eligible for Non-Voting membership if you are a non-Canadian citizen or a non-Commonwealth subject from an Allied nation.
There are four membership categories, each with different qualifications. The criteria for each category are as follows:
You may be eligible for Ordinary membership if you have served or are serving in:
- The Canadian Forces or Her Majesty's Forces (including regular force or reserve force under class "C" service); or
- the Forces or underground forces of any of Her Majesty's allies in any war, conflict or police action in which Canada was involved; or
- the Merchant Navy or non-military services in an actual theatre of war in which Canada was involved; or
- Her Majesty's reserve forces including Cadet Instructors on the Cadet Cadre for not less than one year; or
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police or The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary for not less than one year; or
- the Forces of a country while that country was a member of NATO or NORAD in alliance with Canada; or
- the Forces of the United States; or
- the Vietnam War with the Armed Forces of the United States, Australia, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea or South Vietnam, and were a Canadian citizen or Commonwealth subject at the time of service; or
- the Canadian Coast Guard as an officer or crew member who has two or more years active service on the high seas or inland waterways; or
- a city, municipal or provincial police force as a police officer for not less than one year.
If you do not qualify for Ordinary membership you may be eligible for Associate membership if you:
- are the child, stepchild, adopted child, grandchild, sibling, niece/nephew, widow/er, parent or spouse of someone who is or was eligible for Ordinary membership; or
- are the child of an Associate member; or
- have served in The Royal Canadian Sea, Army or Air Cadets for not less than 3 years; or
- have served as a cadet civilian instructor for not less than 3 years; or
- have served as an officer in the Navy League of Canada for not less than 2 years; or
- have served in the Polish Armed Forces after WW II below the rank of officer; or
- have served in a City, Municipal, Volunteer, Un-organized Territories or Federal Fire Service for not less than one year
- are the spouse, parent or sibling of an associate member who qualified subject to the above criteria.
Affiliate Voting Membership
If you do not qualify for Ordinary or Associate membership but support the aims and objects of The Royal Canadian Legion you may apply for Affiliate Voting membership
Affiliate Non-Voting Membership
If you are a non-Canadian citizen or a non-Commonwealth subject from an Allied nation and support the aims and objects of The Royal Canadian Legion, you may apply for Affiliate Non-Voting membership. These members shall have the same rights as all other members except the rights to vote and hold office. A member admitted under this Section is not permitted to apply for voting status unless otherwise qualified.
For further information, please drop into Branch 112 for a membership form.
Branch 112 Whitby, Ontario